Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Favorite Things

This has been "one of those days".  Phone calls to make appointments and check on insurance, nearly getting in a crash because someone ran a stop sign at the mall.  Ugh!  So I love coming home to my little sanctuary.  And one of the things I especially love is having my house decorated with things that have been handed down to me.  It reminds me of my relatives and keeps their memories alive for me.  One of those things is a sewing basket.

I have been sewing since I was a little girl, learning originally in 4-H, then through home ec in junior high, some from a great aunt of mine, and always getting help from Mom.  My first sewing basket belonged to my great-grandmother on my father's side.  I don't recall how I came to have it but I think it was given to me by my great aunt.  I used it for many years, but it didn't travel well to 4-H meetings as you can tell by the safety pin in the latch!  It dropped open on me a number of times.  Now this basket sits in my living room next to a quilt top I bought that dates back to just after the Civil War.  I'll share that another time.  Just a bit of nostalgia.....

(The flowers in the picture are from one of the azalea bushes in our yard.  My son picked them for me.  Spring in the South is beautiful.)


Happy Crafting!
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment