Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Orange "Orange" Coasters Crochet Pattern

The Orange "Orange" Coaster
Nope, not a typo.  It is an orange orange coaster!  As I promised a few days ago, here is the pattern for the coasters that I designed.  If you aren't up for trying them yourself, I have them  for sale in my Etsy shop.

This is the first crochet pattern I have ever written.  Please let me know if you find errors or have any questions.  I am not including instructions for the various stitches (in US terms) as I know there are many tutorials available for basic stitches.  Enjoy!

Orange "Orange" Coasters
Materials for 4 Coasters:  
  • Lily Sugar 'n Cream 100% cotton yarn.  I purchased a 14 ounce skein of white as I dyed my coasters.  If you prefer to skip the dying step, I would suggest purchasing 2 skeins of Lily Sugar 'n Cream solids in Hot Orange.
  • Size G crochet hook
  • 1 sheet (9x12) each of orange and green felt
  • matching thread
  • Rit Dye in Tangerine.  I used the powdered dye, but the liquid can also be used.
  • Equipment necessary for dying as stated on the dye package
Abbreviations used in this pattern (US terms):

ch - chain
rnd - round
sc - single crochet
ss - slip stitch
hdc - half double crochet
st - stitch

Round 1:  Make a magic circle.  Ch 1. Crochet 6 sc in the magic circle.  Pull circle together using the end of the yarn.  Not too tight though!  Wait until you have crocheted another round to close the circle.  Join with a ss to the ch 1 from the beginning of the round.  

Round 2:  Ch 1.  2 hdc in each sc from round 1. Join with a ss to the beginning ch 1. - 12 hdc  made.

Round 3:  Ch 1.  *1 hdc in first hdc from rnd 2.  2 hdc in next st.*  Repeat from * to * around.  Join with ss to the beginning ch 1, - 18 hdc made.

Round 4:  Ch 1.  *1 hdc in each of the first 2 hdc from rnd 3.  2 hdc in the next st.*  Repeat from * to  * around.  Join with ss to the beginning ch 1 - 24 hdc made.

Round 5:  Ch 1.  *1 hdc in the first hdc from rnd 4.  2 hdc in the next st.*  Repeat from * to * around.  Join with ss to the beginning ch 1 - 36 hdc made.

Round 6:  Ch 1.  *1 hdc in each of the first 2 hdc from rnd 5.  2 hdc in the next st.*  Repeat from * to * around,  Join with ss to the beginning ch 1 - 48 hdc made.  

Round 7:  Ch 1.  sc in each st from previous row.  Join with ss to beginning ch1.  Fasten off.  Weave in lose ends.

After I completed 8 coasters, I set up my dye bath following the instructions provided on the Rit Dye package.  I only used about half of the dry powder package since this was not going to be a large dye bath.  I dyed mine in a plastic bucket that I have set aside specifically for small dye batches.  Once the coasters are completely dyed and rinse following the manufacturer's instructions, I laid them flat to dry on an old towel.  I did notice some bleeding of the dye so a second rinse may be necessary.  It also prompted the next step.

Felt backing:  Cut a circle of felt for each coaster made.  The felt circle should be slightly smaller than the coaster.  I cut mine about 1/2 inch less in diameter than the coaster.  Using matching thread I slip stitched the felt backing to the back of the coaster.  This will provide extra protection against moisture on a wooden table.  Next I free hand cut 2 leaves for each coaster from the green felt. Basically I cut an oval shape that is tapered on both ends. I slip stitched these to the front of the coaster, stitching the outer edges of the leaves to the coaster where touching and the overlapping edge of the upper leaf to the bottom leaf.  

And there you have it!  These could also be dyed red for pretty fall apples or even tomatoes.  I hope that you enjoy my first crochet pattern and, again, please let me know if you like it or if there are any errors!  

This pattern is for personal use only.  I strive to make my designs simple and unique and appreciate your cooperation.  Thanks!

Happy Crafting and Crocheting!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment